Launching a new website or a website redesign takes a lot of time, energy, and money. It is important that you have a clear plan from the beginning to make sure that you aren’t wasting your resources on a website that will end up not meeting your goals.
Look through these reasons why many websites fail to perform and see if your website is making any of the same mistakes.
- Undefined Objectives – Maybe your website is trying to do too much at one time. Or maybe there is no clear objective. Either option will only hurt your website’s performance. Creating clear objectives helps give clear direction to website visitors. When someone visitors your website, where should they go next? Create a clear path for visitors to follow that leads them through to your products and services. Or create a path that leads them to a form to give them your information. No matter what, know exactly what you want visitors to do and make that clear on your website.
- Undefined Target Audience – You should know exactly who your audience is so you can make your website most appealing to them. The more specifically you can define your target audience, the better you will be able to market to them. If you aren’t sure who your target audience is, send out a survey to your current client list to find out more about their demographics.
- Focusing on the Wrong Audience – Once you know your target audience, make sure that your website appeals to them. Things as simple as colors and images, to more complicated aspects like navigation and type of content all factor into your demographic. Every aspect of your website can either attract or send away your target audience. The better you know your audience, the better you can adjust your website.
- Not Knowing Your Traffic Source – While increasing your traffic is important, it is important that you are bringing in the right traffic. Qualified leads will only come about if the people visiting your website are actually interested in your products and services. Make sure your search engine marketing is optimized and focused on keywords that actually fit your company. Plan your search marketing campaign to be as effective as possible. 100 qualified visitors will be far more lucrative than 1,000 random visitors.
- Underestimating the Competition – Look to your competitors to see what they are doing and where they are lacking. If you are targeting the same audience, look to see how you can improve your own website and make it more appealing. See where your competitors are linking, the type of the designs they use, the topics they cover, and see how you can improve your features to compete.
- Inconsistencies Across the Website – Having a clean, consistant web design throughout your whole website is crucial. Make sure your content and images display the right message, that your colors match your brand identity. Have your logo clearly displayed on every page and keep the information posted relevant.
- Outdated Features – Constantly review your website for old content, images, and features. Make sure the links you have posted are still active. If it has been a few years since you have designed your website, it might be time for a redesign. Remove any flashing graphics or words that date your website.
- Low Commitment – When was the last time you updated the information and images on your website? Your company is evolving, so your website needs to as well. Make a commitment to update information or review your website at least once a week. Tell people about new products, sales, or special events. Give visitors a reason to regularly come back to your website.
OneIMS is a Chicago Web Design Company as well as a technology-based marketing service provider. We specialize in integrated marketing solutions such as Search Engine Optimization, Pay-per-click advertisements and email marketing. We employ cross-media marketing solutions that are designed to deliver results. Some of those solutions are Variable Data Printing, Personalized URLs and custom Landing Pages and triggered emails.