According to a report by StrongMail, travel and hospitality companies don’t use subscriber preferences or behaviors to target their offers in pre- and post-stay emails. This is a major mistake when running an email campaign.
Only 30% of travel email marketers use their subscriber preferences, and doing so generated nearly twice as much revenue from their email programs than companies that send untargeted messages.
Sending untargeted emails is a mistake that can cost your company, travel-related or not, out of a lot of potential business.
Here are 5 more email marketing mistakes you might be making.
- Timing – Deciding on what day and what time of day to send out your email newsletter is just as important as what is inside. In general, mail sent on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays have the best chance of being opened. However, figure out what times and days work best for your specific audience.
- Unsubscribers – When people request to unsubscribe from your mailing list, do it quickly. Approximately 4% of retail email unsubscribe requests failed in 2010, according to a report from Responsys. Do not be labeled as a SPAM email list and remove unsubscribers right away.
- Segmentation – More advanced segmentation can deliver higher open rates, click-through rates, and conversions than typical email marketing campaigns. However, only a small number of companies use advanced segmentation in their email campaigns. Send out relevant emails to your subscribers to make your list one worth joining.
- Testing – Be sure to test various parts of your email marketing campaign. Test the design, the pictures, links, and anything else you can think of. Testing will help you hone your newsletter to work best for your target audience.
- Social Media – Don’t be afraid to use social media to enhance your email marketing, and vice versa. Encourage sharing on social media sites through your emails and promote your email newsletter through your various social media sites. These do not have to be two separate marketing tools, but instead they should work together.
Email marketing is a marketing tool with a lot of potential when used correctly. Do not miss out on potential sales or clients by falling into these email marketing mistakes.
OneIMS is a Chicago Web Design Company as well as a technology-based marketing service provider. We specialize in integrated marketing solutions such as Search Engine Optimization, Pay-per-click advertisements and email marketing. We employ cross-media marketing solutions that are designed to deliver results. Some of those solutions are Variable Data Printing, Personalized URLs and custom Landing Pages and triggered emails.