More companies are looking toward email to execute their marketing campaigns. However, with all of the bulk email providers out there, it can become too easy to make simply strategic mistakes that will hurt your campaign.
- Not having a strategy. There must be a plan behind every marketing campaign you launch. Detail the exact reasons for sending out each email, the content you will have, the audience you are targeting, the key messages, and what you consider a successful campaign.
- Using an old list. If you have an old list, not only will your information be out-of-date, but you may be wasting money on undeliverable emails. You need to have the latest permission-based list to increase open rates and make sure you aren’t marked as spam.
- Sending out irrelevant content. In order to engage your audience, you must send out content that appeals to them. To increase your open rates, include topics for your newsletters that your audience will want to read.
- Not including a web-based version of your emails. There is a chance that people are viewing your messages from a source that doesn’t support HTML or they don’t allow external images. Keep your emails simple or provide a link to a web-based version of your newsletter.
- Not having a balance with your text and images. While it is important to have images, you need to find a balance between images and text. Too much text is overwhelming, but too many images can be distracting.
- Pushing sales too hard. If readers only see a sales pitches with no benefit for themselves, they will quickly delete and unsubscribe from your newsletter. Or even worse, mark you as spam.
- Ignoring Your Website. You don’t have to list entire articles inside every newsletter. Drive traffic to your website by only posting the first few sentences and then linking to the article on your website. It is the best way to bring yourself more traffic and eyes on your website.
- Testing on only one browser. Different computers and browsers display emails and websites differently. Make sure to do tests on both a PC and Mac, as well as a variety of Internet browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome). This is to make sure that your entire audience can view your newsletter.
- Not timing your newsletter. Think about what time of the day you send out newsletter. Data suggests that the highest open rates happen on Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Do tests to figure out the best time for your email campaign.
- Ignoring Data. Your data will tell you which messages were successful and which were not. You can figure out if emails are bouncing, if people are unsubscribing, or pushing your emails into spam. Your data is the easiest way to see what changes, if any, need to be made on your email campaign.
An email campaign can be a great marketing tool to bring in new customers, build relationships, and remind people of what your company can offer. Don’t waste that resource by making simply mistakes that are hindering your email marketing campaign.
OneIMS provides a variety of online marketing services. Contact us today at 1-888-ONE-IMS-1.
OneIMS is a Chicago Web Design Company as well as a technology-based marketing service provider. We specialize in integrated marketing solutions such as Search Engine Optimization, Pay-per-click advertisements and email marketing. We employ cross-media marketing solutions that are designed to deliver results. Some of those solutions are Variable Data Printing, Personalized URLs and custom Landing Pages and triggered emails.